Tuesday 2 September 2014

Promises and Expectations

When given a task, I will do all in my power to complete the task to the best of my ability. I like to think this goes for most people too. When people are given a job to do, especially if it's something they want to do well in; they're likely to try their hardest to accede the expectations of the people they're working with.

However, recent experience makes me wonder if people have the same drive to help others to complete a task to the best of their ability. Let me set the scene:
*
You're driving in your car on the way to an important meeting, when out of the blue you get a punctured tire and are forced to pull into the hard shoulder to replace your tire. You open the boot, and much to your dismay, there's no spare tire. Luckily, you see a friend drive by, they see you and pull in behind you.

You: I've got a punctured tire and no spare. My meeting's in two hours, there's no way I'm going to get there!
Friend: I've got a spare, I'll get it and bring it to you.
You: Okay.

Your friend goes on their merry way and you sit and wait. And you wait. And you wait. Until you decide to text your friend.

You: Are you on your way?
Friend: Yeah, sorry- I had to refuel.

You view this as a valid reason for their delay and wait. And wait. And wait. Until you decide to ring your friend again.

You: There's only an hour left until my meeting, are you sure you can get me that spare tire?
Friend: Yeah, I'm just really busy at the moment. You've got loads of time to get to you're meeting bud. It'll be fine.

Slightly angered at their nonchalance you continue to wait. And wait. And wait. With now only half an hour left until you're meeting you're left with a decision to make. 

Do you try to get your friends attention again? Try to get a ride from someone else on the busy road? Or call your boss and say you're going to be late and miss the meeting?


This situation infuriates me.


If anybody makes a promise to me, or sets out to help me- I expect them to do so to the best of their ability. If the roles were reversed I would help anybody to the best of my ability and it dissapoints me to think that some people may not treat other people the same way that they would treat themselves.

Don't you think the world would be a better place if we helped each other out to the same extent that we help ourselves?

Anyway, that is all for now. This blog posts song is: Cherokee by Europe

Too-da-loo kangaroo- L

*This situation is completely hypothetical and probably enormously inaccurate. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment