Monday 8 September 2014

Positivity.

*Just a warning I thought I'd insert half way through writing the blog post: All views are based upon personal experiences or friends/families experiences etc. I'm not qualified in anything, but I am a human and I therefore observe. Take this as a lesson of observation if you will. Proceed.*

Hello fellow friends of the interweb,

Today, I'm here with a bit of a more serious blog post. I say 'a bit more' of a serious blog post because it's only serious if you take what I'm saying seriously...Obviously...ANYWAY, before I further digress, let me ask you this; What IS positivity?

The word 'positive' has many meanings in The Oxford Dictionary. (Take a look here if you so wish.) To generalize all of the definitions; the word 'positive' is mainly used to describe something good. Whether that be a certain outcome or mental state.

You're probably tired of the ill-delivered English lesson, but just bare with me for a moment. Although just a word, 'positive' or 'positively', maybe even 'positivity' or 'positiveness', all carry the weight of meaning.

What I mean by this, is when spoken, some words have a larger impact on a person than others. Think about it, when you think of the word 'negative', what images come to mind? What colours do you associate that word with? What do you feel? What connotations are linked to that word? Now think of the word 'positive' and ask yourself the same questions. Different people have different connections to words, they associate different images, sounds, smells, feelings- dependent on opinions and experiences (And quite possibly a number of other things.)

'Positive' is a big thing in the media. 'Positive' thinking, 'Positive' examples, 'Positive' body image- and each time someone else's version of positivity is shown, our own version of positivity changes. Much like our own version of negativity changes. Because of the impact words have and because of the weight words carry, to be able to live by those words, to adopt them into everyday life- can be made difficult.

In short, to be positive, to look at things in a positive way (to me), is quite a difficult task. I think this is because there's a pressure on the word. When I hear 'positive' I think constantly happy, 'everything happens for a reason', forgiving, generous etc. As much as I'd like to be that person- I'm not. However, I know that to an extent, I can be.

In order to adopt something like 'positivity' into your life, I think it's very important to understand what it means to YOU. Not to your friends, not to your family, to you. How can YOU be more positive? What images come to mind when you think of the word? Really think about it, write it down, sing it- whatever you need to do! Then, adopt it into your life. Do what you can to be the best version of you!

That's it for today my fellow friends of the interweb. I'm feeling quite philosophical having written that and ideas are brewin'. For now I shall leave you with my song of the post: Up The Junction by Squeeze

Hit the street Parakeet- L







No comments:

Post a Comment